Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
Music from across the pond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Tell Us About Your Celtic Woman Experience,
Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Music from across the pond Reply with quote

Here comes Saint Patrick's Day and in that spirit, this week's column features an interview with Lisa Lambe of the group Celtic Woman.

PHOTO COURTESY OF LILI FORBERG
Left to right are Susan McFadden, Chloë Agnew, Máiréad Nesbitt and Lisa Lambe of the singing group Celtic Woman, which plays in the area on March 14.

Celtic Woman performs a mix of new age and pop music passed through the filter of their homeland across the pond. It was thanks to a PBS special that America first took notice of the band. The show was a huge success and they wanted to keep the ball rolling, so Celtic Woman released the album "A Christmas Celebration" in 2006 and "A New Journey" in 2007. They also toured heavily.

The 2008 album "The Greatest Journey" contained material from older albums as well as new songs, and "Songs from the Heart" followed in 2010. Then came "Believe" and "Home for Christmas" in 2012. No one could accuse this band of not working hard.

Its members are Chloë Agnew, Lisa Kelly, Máiréad Nesbitt and Susan McFadden. The following interview took place via an email exchange with Lisa Lambe in advance of the group's March 14 show at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.

Q: The group's first performance - for PBS and CD and DVD - was supposed to be the group's only release. What was the thinking at that time?

A: Celtic Woman came together in the Helix Theatre in Dublin back in 2004 to film a DVD for what was to be a one-night performance. It was an overnight sensation and so began the incredible journey of Celtic Woman. PBS has been amazing in that it has brought Celtic Woman into almost every home in America. It's an incredible and informative network. I love to watch PBS while on tour.

Q: You mix traditional songs with your own modern material on your albums. How much thought goes into that? Do you have to treat modern songs differently when they're presented with traditional material?

A: David Downes is our incredible musical director and composer and steers the beautiful music ship that is the beating heart of Celtic Woman... When David chooses a song, even a very iconic well-known song, he has the ability to make it sound like its been created for the first time. The Celtic Woman sound and blend is very distinctive and allows the traditional sound to blend beautifully with more contemporary material.

Q: Between the last album and the latest album, was there something you were thinking you wanted to try to do differently on the new album?

A: Every album is a new and exciting project. It's always amazing to record in studio. With a new album comes new songs and new wonderful challenges. I love working with David Downes; his vision is so inspiring and I love the process of creating something new. The "Believe" album was a wonderful journey for me as it was the first full album I recorded followed by "Home for Christmas" - our second Christmas album.

Q: What makes for a good Celtic Woman album?

A: A blend of old and new, dynamic songs and rhythms, some slow laments and some fast upbeat moments... Group songs, and the endless quest for beautiful melodies and stories in the songs. It's all about the story.

Q: Who are some of your favorite singers?

A: Some of my personal heroes are Joni Mitchell, Chet Baker, Karen Carpenter, the Dixie Chicks, Allison Krauss, Shawn Colvin, Paul Brady, Eddi Reader and, of course, my hubby, baritone Simon Morgan!

By GENE MYERS
COLUMNIST
Thursday, March 7, 2013
Email: myers@northjersey.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Tell Us About Your Celtic Woman Experience,
Reviews and Interviews