Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
NEWS LINK:Hayley honoured by Anzac role

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Hayley Westenra
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: NEWS LINK:Hayley honoured by Anzac role Reply with quote

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4036822a1860.html

Hayley Westenra's soprano voice will cut through the chilly dawn air when she sings the national anthem at Wellington's Anzac Day ceremony tomorrow.

Westenra, whose new album Treasure debuted at No1 in the New Zealand album charts last month, said she was not usually a morning person but it was an honour to be invited to perform at the memorial service here.

Three of her great uncles served as fighter pilots in World War II and one was killed.

"I think Anzac Day is something everyone has some connection to through a family member who was involved. It's really nice that we have an opportunity to pay our respects to the people who did give their lives, and paid the highest price for us."

Westenra will sing Danny Boy, a personal favourite, at the Pipitea Marae RSA after-function.

She spent yesterday in her home town, Christchurch, where she was "chuffed" to open a new music wing named after her at her old school Cobham Intermediate.

She will make a guest appearance on Dancing with the Stars tonight. Westenra learned ballet for 10 years but said she did not plan to do any sashaying on the show: "I hope not, I haven't prepared anything."

Westenra met one of the show's high profile judges, Brendan Cole, at a function in Britain recently and despite his smooth reputation with the ladies he was well behaved. "I was warned," she said laughing.

She is in New Zealand for just a week and will resume a tour of the United States with the group Celtic Woman early next month.

She was "thrilled" to have been asked to sing at the Rugby World Cup in France later this year.

Westenra celebrated her 20th birthday in London last week, but she is planning to have her 21st party at home next year.

"I'm sure my mum will be hauling out the baby photos and the video camera footage.

"I'm hoping to get back for a tour around New Zealand, I mean, gosh, a tour around New Zealand is well overdue for me."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Hayley Westenra All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: