Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
The Last 2 Paragraphs Are The Good Ones In This Article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Celtic Woman The Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: The Last 2 Paragraphs Are The Good Ones In This Article Reply with quote

Hot-under-the-collar fans come back to Saroyan
By Mike Osegueda / The Fresno Bee
05/18/07 05:08:39

Until last week, I hadn't been to Saroyan Theatre since the now-notorious Michael Bubl? concert last July.

To clear this up: I wasn't one of the people who swore off going to Saroyan after the theater's air conditioner broke on an especially grueling 110-plus-degree day, leaving concertgoers, Bubl? and his band in agony.

I figured if Michael could make it through the night without taking off his jacket, then there's no reason I should swear off the Saroyan, as many Fresnans said they were going to do.

I hadn't thought much about that sweaty excursion until last Thursday when I went to see country singer Gary Allan.

As I was walking out of the theater, not the least bit sweaty, and quite pleased with my concertgoing experience (and I'm not even a country fan!), that's when I realized I hadn't been to Saroyan since the Bubl? bobble. It's when I realized another thing, too: The Saroyan Theatre really is the best place in Fresno to experience a concert.

If my favorite artist were coming to town (which he is), and I could pick his venue (which I can't), I'd have him perform at Saroyan Theatre (which soul singer John Legend will do on Monday).

Yeah, yeah, Save Mart Center is great. It brings the big names. Yadda, yadda. When Gwen Stefani has to run to my side of the arena for me to get a good glimpse of her, that kinda ruins the experience.

Starline is always a good time. I love the atmosphere, the intimacy, the opportunity to push your way to the front of the stage (or to the bar). But it can't compare to a theater.

Theaters have a certain elegance and charm to them -- whether you're watching the philharmonic or a whiskey-drinking country singer.

The reason I hadn't been to a show at Saroyan for so long is because there haven't been many. Carrie Underwood and Los Lonely Boys visited soon after Bubl?. But since then, not a whole lot, because a $15 million remodeling project had limited bookings at the theater mostly to such events as the Fresno Philharmonic.

"The theater was old and just needed upgrading," says Claudia Arguelles, the director of sales and marketing for the Fresno Convention & Entertainment Center.

Renovations to the theater include a revamped lobby area with TVs that show what's happening on stage, a new curtain, an expansion of the restrooms, new carpet, enhanced lighting, marble finishes and other decor upgrades.

"It's a lot more inviting," Arguelles says. "It's a little more elegant, and it's just a nicer space."

She also promises the air conditioner works, which is good because the coming week is almost like a grand reopening for Saroyan, musically.

Celtic Woman performs Sunday, followed by Legend on Monday and jazz crooner Harry Connick Jr. on Tuesday. With a lineup like that, anybody who swore off the Saroyan might be tempted back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Celtic Woman The Group All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: