Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
C W Plays The Oakdale Theatre St. Patrick's Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Celtic Woman The Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: C W Plays The Oakdale Theatre St. Patrick's Day Reply with quote

From left to right: Máiréad Nesbitt, Lisa Lambe, Chloë Agnew and Susan McFadden

Also check out the great video at the bottom of the page.

Celtic Woman has performed all over the world, but Saturday’s 8 p.m. stop at Toyota Presents the Oakdale Theatre stands out on its 60-city Believe tour for several reasons, the foremost being that it’s St. Patrick’s Day.

Chloë Agnew, 22, is one of the four beautiful women who fronts the group’s brand-new show, which also features dancers, including champion Irish dancer Craig Ashurst, a bagpiper, a six-piece band and the Aontas Choir.

She and the rest of the quartet — Lisa Lambe, Celtic violinist Máiréad Nesbitt and Susan McFadden — were more than excited that Gov. Dannel P. Malloy has declared Saturday Celtic Woman Day in Connecticut.

“I found out just the other day, and I literally let out a big old yelp,” said the blonde beauty by phone from the tour bus en route to Syracuse. “It’s one of the biggest honors that ever happened to me. Not many can say a governor named a day after them. It’s one of the highlights of my career. So I’m really looking forward to this Saturday,” calling it “in my top five” of memorable St. Patrick’s Days over the years.

Malloy’s proclamation read, “Your wonderful success and acclaim speaks to your hard work and dedication, and the people of Connecticut thank you for bringing your talents to our state.”

Agnew, who has been a member of Celtic Woman since she was 14, comes from an entertainment family. Before Celtic Woman producer David Downes discovered her, she’d already won an international song competition in Egypt, representing Ireland. Downes produced her first two albums, which she recorded when she was 12 and 14, and is now working on another.

That kind of talent is typical of the show, which Agnew says, “was the basic idea to begin with” — solo artists melding their talents.

In 2005, Downes asked her to be part of what was to be a one-night show, which then went to PBS and launched the phenomenon.

“We were all solo artists in our own right,” Agnew says. “The show is equally divided among us. We have about two solos each and then come together and do group ensemble pieces, then some duets.

“I actually think that’s one of the best things about us, because we are so different in our own right. It’s nice to showcase that and then come together.”

Agnew calls this show “probably the best one to date. We’ve spent many weeks perfecting and polishing the show ... and there’s so much different music that appeals to different people. I’m amazed at who comes to the show, and thrilled that music can bring people together.”

The tour is celebrating the release of its new “Believe” live concert DVD and studio album, the latter debuting at No. 1 on Billboard’s World Music and Top Internet Album charts.

Saturday, of course, they’ll also be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, American style. “We have parades in Ireland, but we don’t dye any rivers green,” she laughs. “Somewhere you might find green beer, but that might be a new trend. ...”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=b5LQ7LARtpY

By Donna Doherty, Register Arts Editor
The New Haven Register
New Haven, CT
Published: Thursday, March 15, 2012
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Celtic Woman The Group All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: