Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
From Charlotte Observer Singer Is In Touch With Irish Side

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Hayley Westenra
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: From Charlotte Observer Singer Is In Touch With Irish Side Reply with quote

HAYLEY WESTENRA

Singer is in touch with Irish side
This Celtic Woman is New Zealand native

COURTNEY DEVORES
Special to The Observer

Classical vocalist Hayley Westenra, 19, explores traditional songs from Ireland and her native New Zealand on her third album, "Celtic Treasure," which was released last week. Westenra, who is a member of the musical ensemble Celtic Woman that visits Ovens Auditorium tonight and Friday, spoke to the Observer recently from her adopted home of London.

Q. Have you always been interested in Celtic music?

Hayley: Just recently I discovered Celtic music and got in touch with my Irish roots. It's nice to be working with singers who have lived in Ireland their whole life.

Q. What has the experience been like rehearsing for the tour in Dublin?

Hayley: It's a great chance to catch up with relatives. I feel a strong connection with people over there. They have a passion for music, and they're very creative. When I was 11 years old my Mum was going to move us all to Ireland. It was some crazy idea she had, but it was going to be too much of an upheaval, so she decided against it.

Q. Have you learned anything from the other singers?

Hayley: What I like about the whole project is that all of us come from different backgrounds, have different styles and voices. It's good to be exposed to. Most of my music has been classically based until now.

Q. So many kids your age heard only pop music growing up. How were you exposed to classical music?

Hayley: My parents didn't play a lot of classical music. They put on a classical CD or tape when I was going to sleep. It was probably my grandparents that first introduced me to classical music. My Nanna use to sing a lot of the classical hits. My granddad would play the piano and accordion by ear. It wasn't classical, but it wasn't pop either.

Q. What do you listen to besides classical?

Hayley: I love Abba, the Beatles, Paolo Nutini, the Feeling.

Celtic Woman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Hayley Westenra All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: