Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
Newest Celtic Woman Fits Right In

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Lynn Hilary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Newest Celtic Woman Fits Right In Reply with quote

Celtic Woman is an international hit since forming in Ireland in 2004
From Left To Right: Máiréad Nesbitt, Lisa Kelly, Chloë Agnew, Órla Fallon, Lynn Hilary, and Alex Sharpe

Celtic Woman
Etc.: www.celticwoman.com

Lynn Hilary's first post-college job had her sharing a stage with the likes of U2 and other mega-star artists.

"My first show, my first proper gig, was singing at the opening of the Special Olympics world games with Riverdance," says Hilary, the newest singer for the group Celtic Woman. "And it was so huge and it was such a lovely event. It was such an amazing experience."

Now Hilary, along with the other members of Celtic Woman -- Alex Sharpe, "?rla Fallon, M?ir?ad Nesbitt and Chlo? Agnew -- bring their internationally acclaimed show to the Greensboro Coliseum on Tuesday.

This is Hilary's first visit to North Carolina since joining the group last fall.

"It's been perfect, really. It's been really seamless, no problems whatsoever," says Hilary of her transition into the group.

Celtic Woman formed in Ireland in 2004 and filmed a PBS special that aired the following year. The special, along with an accompanying CD and DVD, became a hit and led to a hectic touring schedule and two more PBS specials, DVDs and CDs: "A Christmas Celebration" in 2006 and "A New Journey" in 2007. And just as Riverdance before it, the Irish export became a worldwide phenomenon.

"When I toured with Riverdance it was amazing but you kind of think into it, and like any job, you have a routine and you're not constantly going, 'Wow this is amazing,' and you have to remind yourself how lucky you are," Hilary says.

The show features a variety of music. The women sing traditional Irish songs such as "Carrickfergus," classic Americana such as "Over the Rainbow" and contemporary songs such as "You Lift Me Up." The mixed program appeals to a wider audience.

"I suppose some of the songs will always be classic, like 'Danny Boy' or some of those classic ones Chlo? sings," Hilary says.

"But I suppose what Celtic Woman does is, it kind of tries to bring everyone into it; we try to bring younger people and all kinds of people into that kind of music."

The show isn't just about the music. The women are an attractive bunch, young and vibrant with stylish blonde and fiery red hair. They perform in lavish ball gowns, accompanied by a live band, a throng of elegantly dressed backup singers and sprightly fiddler Nesbitt.

"I think people can expect a really nice visual kind of a treat," Hilary says. "Even from far away, if you can't see the faces, we've got these big dresses on and a great band, and if you don't watch anything else, the drummers are amazing. My favorite part of the show is the arrangements of the music because it really brings them to life with the string arrangements and percussions."

Since joining Celtic Woman last fall, Hilary's schedule has become a hectic mix of touring and rehearsals. The group will be on the road in the United States through May, and though the tour takes her away from family and friends in Ireland, Hilary is thankful for the opportunity.

"I don't really get down about anything because it just always keeps you on a high," she says. "I was so lucky to have been born in Ireland and be Irish because I seem to get all this work and I have the kind of voice that seems to fit these shows.

"My mom is a singer and I have her to thank for giving me that gift."

When: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday
Where: Greensboro Coliseum, 1921 W. Lee St., Greensboro
Tickets: $45.50 and $59.50
Information: 852-1100, 722-6400 or www.greensborocoliseum.com

Jennifer Bringle
Special to Go Triad
Published
February 21, 2008
2:48 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Lynn Hilary All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: