Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index

Time In Ireland Is
Sounds of the Emerald Isle Comes To Gainesville, FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Tell Us About Your Celtic Woman Experience,
Reviews and Interviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Sounds of the Emerald Isle Comes To Gainesville, FL Reply with quote

The Irish ensemble Celtic Woman has held the No.1 spot on Billboard's World Music Chart for more than 90 consecutive weeks.

Chloe Agnew has too much energy.

As a performer in the world-renowned vocal group Celtic Woman, her life is booked to the hilt. Last fall, there was a European tour, then China, then back home to Ireland to rehearse a new show before Christmas, then costume fittings and final rehearsals in January, then a U.S. tour that started in February and runs through July - which brings her to the O'Connell Center tonight.

Oh, and in between all of that, she finished high school.

"It's been nonstop," Agnew says. "There was always the option of leaving school behind and putting all my focus and attention on Celtic Woman, but to me, education has always been so important. Now that it's over and done with, I'm chuffed. I'm quite pleased."

The new Celtic Woman tour is called "Isle of Hope," and while it contains some old favorites, Agnew says she is happy to be performing new music.

"As a performer and a musician, you like to think that you're always pushing yourself," she says. "In this show, a lot of the music is a lot more vocally demanding, so you're really giving your heart and soul out there. It's actually a great feeling to know that you're pushing yourself every night and getting such a great reaction from it."

Formed in 2004, Celtic Woman features five female soloists blending everything from contemporary pop music to traditional Irish songs. The group has sold millions upon millions of albums, held the top slot on the Billboard World Music Chart for more than 90 consecutive weeks and toured the world many times over.

That constant touring has had an interesting effect on Agnew: While she is in some ways still an ordinary teenager, her life experiences have left her light years beyond others her age.

"I remember going home and doing geography class and being able to tell my peers all about the rest of the world - places you could never dream of seeing before you're 20," she says.

And, any other 19-year-old who wants to complain about a busy schedule needs only look to Agnew for perspective. Though she is done with school, Agnew is teaching herself Italian and taking an online child psychology class while touring the world.

"I'm a bit of a dork," she says. "I'm keeping myself busy, but it's all for the good."

It would seem with so much on her plate and such relentless performing that Agnew would get tired of the show or the songs, but in this as in so many other areas, she is unique yet again.

"The show is the best two hours of the day," she says. "The minute you get onstage, there's this energy that comes from somewhere, you don't know, it just comes out of midair. It kind of grasps you and takes you with it. It's always such a buzz."

Somehow, in the midst of the whirlwind that is her life, Agnew keeps her center.

"We're taking it day by day and treasuring every moment."

By Travis Atria
Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.
The Gainesville Sun Gainesville, FL
Gainesville.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Celtic Woman Fan Site Forum Index -> Tell Us About Your Celtic Woman Experience,
Reviews and Interviews